3.29.2011

Pet Silhouette Revisited

DSC04299Way back in Early 2010 when I began SOTG, one of the first crafts/projects I shared was my Kitty Cat Silhouette.
cat silhouette 2Obviously, this was back when I was just starting to photograph for the blog. Before I knew not to use a flash. Before I realized I should get up close and personal with the photo subject. Before, before, before. Not that I’m any expert now, but I have learned a few tricks!
So, all I did to make this cute take on a traditional home decor accessory was:
  1. Took/found a profile photograph of my cat, Waffles.
  2. Enlarged it on my computer to the size I wanted to silhouette.
  3. Traced the shape onto a white piece of paper I held up to the computer screen.
  4. Cut out the white paper shape and traced around it on black cardstock/construction paper. Cut out the black shape.
  5. Spraypainted an oval plaque I thrifted black.
  6. Modgepodged a pretty patterned oval onto the center of the plaque, then modgepodged black cat shape onto it.
  7. Used distressing ink and some diluted gold/lt. brown craft paint to “age” the design.
  8. After letting it all dry, spraypainted the entire plaque and design with clear coat sealant.
DSC04302That’s it! Now we have a fun keepsake pet silhouette to enjoy and decorate with for years to come! And Waffles is oh-so-proud…
cat cowboyI’m submitting this post to Make and Takes’ pet projects request.
CY, Laurie

4 comments:

Jessica said...

So cute!

Melissa said...

That is fun. Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

Helby said...

This is a cute idea! Might have to do this for my two girls.

PEACHES said...

GENIUS. Waffles is one lucky fur baby. I'm totally jealous!