3.16.2010

OLD SHUTTERS UPCYCLED!

My Great Guy replaced the window shutters on the front of our house a couple weeks ago.  The new ones are vinyl, which is nice, because the old ones were wood and looking a little shabby.  When I stepped outside to see the “makeover,” I saw that my husband had piled the big old shutters on a pile of yard trash!  What in the world was he thinking?  Ha!  He oughta know by now I’m going to try and make use of discarded old wood items!  I have lots of plans for them, but here’s peek at my first project:
BEFORE
craggymoor 562
AFTER
lll 006 lll 007
I used a highly developed process known as “trial-and-error” – ha!  The original shutter is the one on the right in the before pic – it started out very dark, almost Charleston green.  I then gave it a quick coat of medium olive green spray paint, then a little bronze spray paint.  Then, my hubby, my daughter and I took turns dry brushing on some chocolate brown and tan wall paint that we had on hand.  Lastly, I mixed up a medium turquoise (so popular right now!) color from some craft paints and brushed some on here and there as well. 
I am pleased with them and think I will be using them as a “backdrop” of sorts behind a corner table in my den.  Pics of the final outcome will show up in the future, I’m sure!  In the meantime, I’m just enjoying them.  By the way, that gorgeous red-and-gold toned tassel is a treasure I found at Ross for $4.99!  It is very large and ornate and I’m loving the juxtaposition of the fancy tassel and the weathered shutter.  Tell me, whaddaya think?
Linking to:
DIY Day
Just Something I Whipped Up Monday
Making the World Cuter Monday
Metamorphosis Monday
Thrifty Treasures Monday
Penny Pinching Party
Power of Paint Party
Sharing Ideas Wednesday
Works for Me Wednesday
Get Your Craft On Thursday
Strut Your Stuff Thursday
Transformation Thursday
Frugalicious Friday
Inspired By Friday
Weekend Wrap-Up Party

Chonically Yours,
sig

24 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh I really like this. You did a wonderful job repurposing and the tassel is perfect!

Tara said...

I've got some old shutters in my garage that I've been trying to figure out what to do with. This idea won't work in my house, but I like it for yours! What else could I try???

Laurie said...

Thanks, ladies! Tara, have you thought about painting them out with a more polished look? I'm not sure what your house calls for, but I think shutters could be used to make a screen, headboard, picture frame gallery background. You could also just use one horizontally or vertically as "art" over something, in a tall skinny space or diagonally up a stairway. Also, what about in a kids' area to display art (turn it backwards so you can hang hooks or clips from the tops of the slats? Just some ideas!! Thanks for stopping by!

Denise said...

Love it!
Following you from Trendy Treehouse!
Stop by:
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

Sonia said...

I love the repurposing job..Now I'm in search of some old shutters!

Jane said...

Ooooh those shutters look old and time worn...love it! Thanks for linkin' up to Frugalcious Friday. I'm a bit late getting around, but I made it!

Jane @ Finding Fabulous

One Cheap B*tch said...

Thanks for visiting my blog - glad you did! Am following you now too! How did I miss you for so long?! =)

Melissa said...

I really like the curtain tie tassel you used...

Embellished Bayou said...

Very cool! We are about to get some new shutters for our front windows so I will have to remember this, thanks for sharing!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

I love shutters!!!! What was your hubby thinking??? You will have to train him better than that! LOL!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Love how all the layers made the shutters look. Thanks for sharing at the POPP.

Kifus said...

Great work! Wish I were that crafty!

Lori said...

These turned out great! My hubby will throw things like that away, and you think they would learn by now, but they don't!! LOL

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday! Please join me next week for another wonderful party!

shopannies said...

great idea recycling and decorating go hand in hand

Kelli @ RTSM said...

What a great redo! I bet you would pay a fortune to buy something like that in a store!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Great job!

Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

They turned out great!
My Hubs is afraid to put anything in the 'garbage pile' now. LOL
Wonderful job,
~Amy

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, I love, love old shutters, you can always find a spot for them. Very nice!

helenabelle said...

I have hinged together 4 rather large old farmhouse shutters and made a nice screen. Also, have used one as a shelf, just purchased iron brackets and mounted the shutter right on them. The possibilities are endless...enjoy them!

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Amazingly gorgeous!
*hugs*Deb

Merrie said...

I can't wait to see the final picture of the space where you are using these. Very crafty of you!

Bobbie said...

That is super cute! I would love for you to join me over at a vision to remember for check me out saturdays
www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Old shutters are some of my favorites to play with! Yours turned out nicely.

Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

These are awesome! I am following now! I would love it if you stopped by and take a look around on my blog, if you like what you see...please become my newest follower! Have a great day!